Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Monsterpiece Doily: Round 6, And a New Distraction

Round 6 of the Monsterpiece Doily is easy to tat, but I haven't done as much as I had hoped I would. That's because of a new distraction I seem to have found. I will talk more about that one later. I am hoping I will get more tatting done on the doily this week. I do have a few evening engagements I plan on attending this week too, and I don't think I will be able to tat during them. The Monsterpiece Doily isn't a take-along project anymore anyways. Snowflakes are possible, however. I do have a snowflake I could share; I was lucky to be able to test tat Frivole's Bentley snowflake, but I'll save that for next time.

Round 6 is simple rings and chains, so it's easy to tat-you just have to remember to stop and join at the right place.


I don't know if I'll finish tatting this round by next week or not. That will depend if I continue with that new distraction I mentioned above. Not much to say about this round. Thread stats: the thread is Manuela no. 20 colour #a055.

Now, about this new distraction, I really don't know what ultimately started it, but I'm kinda glad I have started doing it again. What is it? Knitting.

I know right? I have said it in the past that I don't like knitting, but it's really not that bad. I've always been a bit envious about people knitting socks and mitts and gloves but crocheted version don't always match up. But, I've never been fond of using numerous double pointed needles. I discovered "Magic Loop" knitting last weekend and I really enjoy it. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is using circular knitting needles and using them instead of double pointed needles. It does take a bit of time to get used to since you are not simply knitting in a round-the diameter is too big. You do need a circular needle that has a very flexible cable for the best experience. The one I have isn't that flexible-it's a rubber tube that has memory. I actually went and ordered an interchangeable circular needle set from Knit Picks. I also ordered some cable connectors and an additional long cable so I can try knitting two socks at a time. Here's a few photos of the sock I was knitting:







I'm using a toe up knitting pattern, which in itself is a genius idea. It used a cast on method I never thought of; it started with a crocheted chain. The pattern I'm using uses worsted weight yarn and thicker needles than other sock patterns which makes it easier to make. I actually finished the sock before I started writing this post, but I have to hide the ends first. The pattern is available from Very Pink here. I'll show you the finished sock next time. Now I just have to make the second one.

It just fascinates me that I enjoyed knitting the sock. I wonder if it is because knitting for me is really an undeveloped skill and there is so much more I could learn. I want to learn other crafts/arts but there is so much I could make using knitting. I noticed my speed increasing as I knitted the sock. With Christmas rapidly coming, I actually want to make some socks for gifts and who knows what else. I'm hoping this desire to knit, and learn more knitting skills continues. Till next time.

9 comments:

  1. There's nothing like a pair of hand-knit socks! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel nice on my foot. I can't wait to have the second one finished.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, hand made sock are the best. ... gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hopefully I can get a few pairs made. I'm sure they would be appreciated in our climate.

      Delete
  3. I love so many fiber arts and I love an am very tempted to knit socks too, I like the accessories you have purchased my mom was great a knitting and she did socks too, I can see wear this has side tracked you :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to be able to do several different fiber arts. I can't wait for the needles to arrive. My grandmother was great at knitting too, though I don't know if she ever knitted socks. I'm trying to alternate between knitting and tatting to avoid being side tracked too much.

      Delete
  4. I love knitting socks. I've tried the magic loop but I like the simplicity of do needles so I've gone back to them. I look fwd to seeing the finished pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm envious of the socks you have knitted. I couldn't get the hang of double pointed needles and would just get frustrated. I guess whatever works.

      Delete
  5. Oh I love your tatting and knitting!! I also love Stacy over at Very Pink. Isn't she a great teacher? Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete