Monday, October 5, 2015

The Monsterpiece Doily, Round 4

I had hoped to post last night, but I never got that far. I made a somewhat serious error right when I was finishing the first motif of round 5 and decided to made the motif over. Oh, and I finished round 4, but forgot to take a photo of the doily before attaching the motif. When I cut off the first motif to make it over, I was going to take a photo before attaching the new motif. I forgot. Again.


Looking good so far, IMHO. If you're wondering what serious error I made on the motif, I'll tell you. After pulling the ends into the finished motif using the magic threads, I cut the threads short and accidentally cut a joining picot in the process. I know, I could have cut out the affected section and reattached the threads and hid them, but since I had to add thread part way through for one of the colours, I didn't want so many threads hidden in one motif. There were already several rings and chains that were thicker than the other ones. Besides, the motifs are pretty easy to make. Of course, I got so into making the new motif I forgot to add the first magic thread. I bet you saw that coming. Thread stats: the thread used for the round 5 chains/thrown off rings and round 4 is Manuela no. 20 colour #a055. The dusty rose thread in the round 5 clovers is Manuela no. 20 in colour #a022.

Hopefully it's obvious, but I got a hold of a needle that works to sew in the ends. I got several types and sizes-the exact sizes suggested for size 20 thread weren't available at the store I went to. I ended up using a self threading needle and was able to hide the threads I needed to hide. Hopefully they stay hidden. Because I'm gonna need it again.

Till next time.

PS: I won't have another tatting related post this week. I have a special post scheduled for Friday instead, so stay tuned for that.

10 comments:

  1. Your doily is looking wonderful and I like the colors you are using!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. Don’t you hate that, when you have already snipped it and the brain catches up screaming,”NO!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it! Of course, "NO!" wasn't exactly the word my brain was thinking at the time!

      Delete
  3. Lookin' good! I have made so many mistakes on this doily, but I consider each and every one a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I've made a lot of mistakes on mine as well. I have fixed most of them, and most aren't super serious ones. ie: ones that I have to cut out all or part of a row. So far. And they are learning experiences.

      Delete
  4. I was wondering what happened to ya, looks like that mistake has been done before, good to know your not the first and maybe even Jan did is too ha ha ha. I have changed a center out but not with this one, I waited till is was a really big mistake and had to cut like Diane did, in fact that is what got me started tatting on this again. Diane showed her mistake and I started thinking did I do that and sure enough I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still here Carollyn! It sure looks like it. It is definitely possible that even Jan has done it too. That's one of the benefits of starting a project such as this after everyone else; I can see and learn from their mistakes. I'll only cut a section/row out if it is a really serious mistake; if I can make it work, I will.

      Delete
  5. Oh, You are not alone. I seem to take two steps forward and one back. I put it aside until I have the strength to look at it again. I am on round 12. Hang in there this one is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we can all relate to your mistake, one of the pitfalls of tatting.
    Looking lovely so far,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete