Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Update! Naked Turtle No Longer Naked

Due to recent insomnia, I worked on the turtle last night. And here is the final result:

The beading part of the pattern went pretty quickly (to my surprise). I couldn't find the beading needles that I had bought (for a purpose that I don't remember!), so I used the next best thing, a floss threader. Yup, I used a floss threader to do the bead work. It worked, but next time I will use an actual needle. Teri doesn't mention what she uses to do the beading. I really like how the turtle turned out and will make some more. I see some of these becoming Christmas gifts. Since the size 50 thread worked, I might try some HDT next time.

I never mentioned why I wanted to make this pattern. It's because there isn't very much tatted jewelry or wearables for men. Sure, Ruth Perry has a few patterns that she calls masculine as well as a few that could be made manly (the Celtic watchband in her new book for example). I'm sure there are others that could work. I don't wear much jewelry; only a chain with a Sterling silver dragon on it. I would love to wear some tatted items besides what can be sewn onto clothing but it has to be masculine looking. A tatted dragon would be nice, but most are too big for my purpose. Anyway, that's all I have right now, I'm starting to ramble. Later.

BTW Tattingchic, I almost choked on my Coke when I read your comment on the previous post! Should I have my blog rated R now?

6 comments:

  1. Excellent work Jeff! I am sure Teri will be proud!
    It does look like a boy turtle too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't choke on your coke! LOL! Well, I suppose if there are no more questionable turtle pics on your blog then we are all in good standing!
    You are a braver tatter than I to attempt teri's turtles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo!

    I use needle threaders for just about everything tatting and beading oriented, including the joining of picots.

    Thread Heaven isn't wax ;0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

    A boy turtle you say Sherry? I thought it looked more like a girl turtle since I used purple beads.

    I promise no more questionable turtle pics anymore Chiclet. Can't promise the same about mermaids though!

    Thanks for stopping by Teri. I'm honoured. I wondered what the needle threader was to be used for. I am aware that Thread Heaven isn't wax, but it would sure sound funny if I said you Thread Heavened your thread before using. I'll have to try your second turtle pattern when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess that Thread Heaven has an appearance similar to wax and that is why I used the term "wax". However, I should have said "coat" or "condition the thread" prior to. I do like saying, "wax, wax, and then wax again" though.

    I certainly don't recommend using any wax products, stiffeners or starches on anything lace anymore.

    ReplyDelete